Saturday, January 23, 2016

Can you say, "Snow"!

Hi friends,

Let me just say that I am now sick of this snow storm.  We have over 24 inches on the ground as of right now.  The good thing is that it's to end around 9:00 pm tonight.  Our street was plowed a little over night and early this morning, but nothing since.  I suppose they will get to it tomorrow.  Actually our street is on the snow emergency route here in York.  So, that means that they should, at some point, remove all the snow from our street.  But, so far, nothing...

I am so thankful that we've had no power problems.  I'm grateful that we have a warm home, enough food, and we'll handle all the snow tomorrow and Monday.  This snow storm has hit the Eastern coast of the United States and I just heard on television that it's now recorded as the worst snow storm ever recorded for this area. 

I remember the snow storm which happened in January 1996.  The reason that I recall that one so well is because it snowed for about three days straight, along with high winds and drifting.  The city called for a snow emergency during that time, also.  We received a telephone call from my Dad that my Mom was very ill and he'd called an ambulance.  We said we'd meet them at the hospital.  I was a bit leery about driving on the city streets, because you could get ticketed for that during the emergency. 

When we arrived at the hospital, we found out that the ambulance could not get into the development where my folks lived, so a fire truck was called in to pick up my Mom.  They wrapped her in blankets and then in a tarp, placed her on a stretcher, which was then attached to the top of the ladders on the fire truck. Once out  of the development, the ambulance was waiting and they put her into the ambulance to transport her to the hospital. 

That was a very traumatic  time for all of us and the start of a very sad year for us.  My Mom lived ten months, from January until October, and during that time, she was hospitalized nine times.  Finally in October, she passed away.  I can still recall some of the nurses saying that not once, during the nine times she was in the hospital, did they ever hear her complain, not even once. 

That was my Mom.  She was a very strong woman and I miss her so very much.  I hope I can be as strong and uncomplaining as she was.  Rest in peace, Mom and Dad.  I love and miss you both so very much.

If any of you live here in this part of the US, I hope you all stay warm and safe inside your homes as this storm finishes up and leaves us in the next few hours.  Be safe and may God bless each of you.
Susan

No comments: