Sunday, September 11, 2016

Creatures of habit...

Happy Sunday everyone.  I was just sitting here thinking about the fact that I am, certainly, a creature of habit.  How about you?  I think, that perhaps, it comes with age.  Once your children are all grown up, with families of their own, and you are retired, whether because of illness (early retirement) or because you are of retirement age, a person becomes creatures of habit.  At least, I am and I know some other senior citizens, who are also like me.

Perhaps, for me, it's because I spend a lot of time by myself and am chronically ill.  My husband is still working a part time job and I do encourage him to go do the things he likes to do.  This of course, means I spend a lot of time alone.  I suppose I've gotten used to being alone and although I love having someone to talk to, I don't mind my alone time.  In fact, I enjoy it most of the time.  Don't get me wrong, I love being with my husband and my family, but I also don't mind being alone with my own thoughts, as long as it's not an entire day.  I guess it's because I am alone so much of the time.  This being the case, I do try to keep myself busy doing something, as long as it doesn't take much energy, and I can stay seated to do.

Here we are on September 11th, and it was 15 years ago today, that terrorists attacked the United States.  That was a horrific day for all of us.  So many innocent citizens were killed during that attack on the USA.  I can remember the exact minute that I first heard about it.  I was working and one of my co-workers came and told us to listen to the radio.  Soon after that, I went home and it was on every television channel.  I couldn't stop watching this great loss of lives.  None of them deserved to die that way. 

I remember hearing, over and over again, how some of the passengers on one of the flights, decided to take control of the situation to stop more deaths from occurring.  Of course, this meant that everyone on that flight would not survive.  But, they saved many lives that day and they received great honors for their bravery.  You see, after trying to get control of the plane, they were successful in having it crash in an open area instead of hitting a building full of people.

I don't think I will ever be able to get those images out of my mind.  They replayed them for many days afterward.  I believe that almost everyone here in the United States was in shock for months afterward.  I know for a long time after that day, I needed to know where my family members were because no-one knew if another attack would occur or not.

If you live here in the United States and were, at least a teenager at that time, you will also remember the events vividly, just as I do.  I pray that nothing like that ever happens again, and I ask for God's protection for everyone in this world. 

It's ashamed that some people can rationalize, within their own minds, that taking another person's life is okay.  Well, it's NOT!  No-one has that right, except God, and He never takes one of His children's lives out of hate.  It's people who kill other people, for whatever reason they have.

No comments: