Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What makes you feel happy?

Hi all,

Most Wednesday evenings, my husband goes to the Senior Center to play Bingo, while I stay home.  I'm not a bingo lover, and I don't mind, at all, that he goes.  I am especially happy that he went this evening, because he's been working wayyyyy tooooo many hours this week, thus far.  I will admit that neither of us like that happenstance.  He needed to get out of his office and go and relax doing something that he loves to do. 

So, on those evenings, I get on my laptop, with my feet up on the sofa and turn on the Solid Gold Oldies on television.  I love listening to these old tunes from the fifties and sixties.  Those were the years I grew up in and music and dance was my greatest joy during that time period. 

Listening to these old songs takes me way back.  Back to a time in my life that was so carefree and a time when I had basically no real responsibilities.  (Not like it was when I became an adult, a wife and a Mother.)  I so wish I could still get up off this couch and dance along with the music.  I truly miss dancing so very much, especially to the music from my childhood. 

A bit earlier they played one of Bobby Darin's songs.  He was always one of my favorite singers back then.  But, not just my favorite, but also my Dad's.  Usually Mom and Dad liked to listen to the tunes from the Big Band Era, but they were subjected to American Bandstand on a regular basis.  That being the case, they knew the singers and groups from the 50's and 60's.  My Dad just loved to hear Bobby Darin sing his songs.  To this day, if his song, Mack the Knife is playing on one of my CD's, I can close my eyes and I still can see my Mom and Dad doing the jitterbug to that song.  Whenever that happens, the tears just come, even thought it fills me with joy. 

My Mom died 19 years ago and my Dad passed 16 years ago, but for me, it just seems like yesterday some times.  There were no better parents I could have ever asked for.  Oh they weren't perfect, but then none of us are, now are we.  As parents, we all learn by trial and error.  I believe that I am the strong woman that I am today, only because of my parents.  I always hoped that I would be able to be even half the great Mom that my Mom was to me and my siblings.  They were always there for me, always...  I miss them so much.

How about you?  Are your parents still living?  If so, tell them how very much you appreciate them and how much you look up to them.  Unfortunately, many of us don't tell them how we feel while they are still alive and then they pass away and it's too late.   Don't make that mistake.

I hope your Wednesday went well for you.  Mine was very productive in it's own way.  I hope the last two work days of the week go fast and that you have a great weekend.  Be safe and may God remain with you always.
Susan

PS:  Here's one of the kitchen towels I embroidered as Christmas gifts.


No comments: