Saturday, February 6, 2016

What to do in certain situations?

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you are not entirely sure how to handle it?  I suppose we've all found ourselves in this place many times during our life time.  When the matter involves us, our spouse or our children and grandchildren, we do what we have to do to help make the situation better.  We don't even ponder on it for very long.  As a daughter, son, wife, husband, mother, father or grandparent, we just do whatever we have to do because we love the people involved.  I know you will agree with me about this matter.  When it comes to family, we put ourselves last and put those we love first, always.  At least I hope that's what you all do!

But, what if it isn't a family member or even your best friend, what if it's a friend.  Would you make the same choices?  Well, I've shared with all of you about a friend of mine, at least we used to be very close friends, but not so much in the last few years.  I decided I would go and visit her and try my best to be a good friend to her.  (The decision to stop being friends wasn't mine.)  I know that she feels very much alone right now and that hurts me, for her sake.  I also realize that her family is in a very tough place right now.  They did what they had to do but she doesn't see it that way.  She feels they deserted her, which I know isn't true. 

For the past few weeks, I have felt that God was directing me to reach out to her, which I truly wanted to do, because I still consider her my friend.  My problem was that I decided that I would not play into her depression and negativity.  Mostly, because I don't agree with what she's feeling.  I am smart enough to know that she is suffering from depression and anxieties. 

I had decided that I would visit with her (in a nursing home),  yesterday.  But Thursday evening I found that I could not fall asleep.  I was worried about how she'd accept my visit and if I could do what God was directing me to do.  I felt very insecure in my ability to be strong, but still be very kind to her.

My purpose was to, first of all, let her know that I care very much about her, and secondly to help her in any way I could.  I decided that if I could get her interested in learning how to do hand embroidery work, she would not only have something to do with herself, but I hoped it would increase her self esteem, which is very low right now.  So I got my supplies together that I would leave with her so she could work on it whenever she felt like it.  Since adult coloring books and colored pencils have become the rave now, I asked my husband to pick up a coloring book and a pack of pencils for her, also. 

I left the house with high hopes, deciding that if she wasn't open to either the embroidery work of the coloring book and pencils, I'd just drop the subjects and bring everything back home with me.  I prayed and left my visit in God's hands. 

Well, He was right there with me during the entire visit and I will tell you that I was so very thankful that she was open to both the embroidery work and the coloring book.  She told me that was the first time she'd smiled in quite some time.  I promised her I'd be back to help with learn some more embroidery stitches and left her with some practice pieces.  She said to thank my husband for the coloring book and pencils, also. 

The reason I'm sharing this story with you is because God puts situations like this in front of us from time to time.  Then the choice is up to us:  Do we try to do His wishes and do what He asks of us or do we just turn away and do what we want, because we don't want to be bothered. 

As I've shared with you all many times, I have a great need to "give back" or perhaps to "play it forward" for all the many blessings God has bestowed upon me, all my life.  Since my life is very sedentary, my choices for giving back are few.  But, I will not give up trying where ever I can.  How about you?  Will you step up and do God's will for your many blessings?  I hope your answer is "yes."

God gives us such beauty, what do we give back to Him?
Susan



No comments: