Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sometimes, I just have to wander...

Hi all,

How's everyone doing this fine day?  I suppose you're wandering what I'm wandering about!  Well, it's been on my mind a lot lately, about how every time you turn on the news or read a newspaper, that it's always bad news.  Bad things that are going on:  shootings, robberies, road rage, simply killing another person because they didn't like the way they looked at them.  You all know this is true.  So, I just have to wander what is happening in this world today.

Just think, for one minute, how refreshing it would be to pick up the daily newspaper or to turn on the local news report and hear nothing but good things.  You know, perhaps a person saved another person from a car wreck; maybe someone donated hundreds of dollars to a local family who last their home in a fire; or a child started bullying another child and ten other kids all came to his/her rescue; maybe even about how everyone turned in their illegal guns and decided to live a peaceful life.  Or, maybe all the local gangs decided that they were now going to live their lives doing good for people instead of fighting.  I could go on and on, now couldn't I?

Well, a perfect example would be this:  I decided upon waking up this morning to head over to the Laboratory Annex and have my blood taken for my doctor's appointment next week.  I can't begin to tell you just how much I hate leaving my home in this cold weather, much less right after getting out of bed.  I dressed and headed down stairs, stopping only long enough to prestart the car and grabbing my lab. paper.  (I put it there four months ago after returning from my doctor's appointment) 

I headed out to my car and had to scrap a bit of ice off the front windows and then headed over to the Annex.  I only had to wait about 6 or 7 minutes until they took me.  After going in, I took off my coat and handed my paper to the young lady who was there.  I then mentioned how much I hate going out in this cold weather, when in fact, I normally wouldn't have even been out of bed yet. 

After a minute or two another lady joined us and the first young girl told me that this wasn't a lab paper that I had given her.  I told them that was the only paper they handed me when I left the office four months ago, so I simply assumed that it was the lab paper for testing my blood before I go again.
Well, I guess that's where I made my mistake:  I had assumed!

I have to tell you that the second lady now suggested that they pull my blood anyways, so I wouldn't have to return again another morning.  In the meantime, they would try to get in touch with my doctor's office and have a form faxed over to them.  I thanked them, telling them how much this meant to me.  They kept saying it was okay, but they had no idea how much I appreciated their thoughtfulness and kindness.

After I was home about twenty minutes or so, they called and told me that they now had the form and I shouldn't worry.  I again thanked them for their generosity and kindness.

So, why aren't things like this news worthy?  In my opinion, it's much nicer to hear about the kindness of strangers than about someone being shot in a robbery.  It makes me wander how this came about in the first place.  I have to be honest with you and tell you that I only skim the newspaper because I hate reading about all the bad things people are doing.  How about you?

Obviously, I don't have any idea how to change things, except by doing what I'm doing:  writing about it!  So, because of the kindness of two women, I am having a great day today.

Stay safe and warm.
Susan

No comments: