Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Remember When....

Hi all,
I hope your new year is going great. 

I'm making this flash back Wednesday.  Does anyone out there remember the song, "You Send Me", by Mr. Sam Cooke, from 1957?  Sam Cooke was influenced by Nat King Cole and the Ink Spots.  I have always loved this song and it was a great dance number, either as a calypso or a slow song.

I will tell you that once and a while, when my husband is not at home, I turn on the "Solid Gold Oldies" and just kick back listening to the music from the days of my youth.  Ever since I was about nine or ten years of age, I was into music and dance.  I truly adored the Do-Woop and Rock and Roll years.  I was a Bandstand lover, which I watched, along with my sister, Carol, every week day after getting home from school. 

The love of music and dance has stayed with me all these many years and I'm so very happy it has.  Here's another one for you:  Do you remember, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool" from 1960.  It was sang by Connie Francis?  Her song, "My Heart Has a Mind of it's Own" hit number one on the Adult singles in 1960.  I always thought she was so attractive and such a great singer.

Things were so much simpler back in those days.  There was virtually no trouble with drugs, guns, knives or alcohol at that time.  As I remember, one of the worst things that could happen to a young girl back then, was for her to become pregnant, out of wedlock.  Oh, we had our troubles, just like every young generation, but it was violent like it is today.  That, I have to say, makes me very sad.  How has this world gotten where it is today?  They say, "What comes around, goes around!"  If that's true, will we, at some later era, have less violence on earth?  I certainly hope so.

Well, if you didn't remember any of the other songs, here's another one for you.  Do you remember the song "Rubber Ball" by Bobby Vee, from 1961?  It was a great jitterbug number, which I loved.  His first band was called, "Bobby Vee and the Shadows."  

Now here is one that I truly loved.  "Venus in Blue Jeans" by Jimmy Clanton from 1962.  He was so cute, with that great head of hair.  He was born Sept. 2, 1940.  This was a terrific calypso number and that was one of my favorite dances.  But then, I loved all the dances, no matter what they were.  Just as long as I could get up and dance. 

Do you remember Brenda Lee and her song, "I Want to Be Wanted" from 1960?  I so loved this song.  I think every young girl, at that time, felt this way.  Brenda Lee was born Dec. 11, 1944 and she was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1997.

This one came out when I was in my Senior year of high school.  Do you remember "Get Ready" by the Temptations, from 1966?  They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989,  They had so many really popular songs that it's hard to just name one.  Their music was great to dance to, that's for sure.

Do you have the channel "Solid Gold Oldies" in your area of the world?  I'd really miss it if I was not able to get it anymore.  Oh, I have many, many of the old songs on CD and I listen to them all of the time.  My husband asks me if I'm reliving my youth.  I just laugh at him and tell him that at that time in my life, I thought life was rough, but now, as I look back all those years, I see that it was the easiest time ever.  I had wonderful parents, loving siblings, great grandparents and many loving aunts, uncles and cousins.  My parents saw to it that my siblings and I had everything that we needed in life.  (Not everything we wanted, but that was okay.)  My parents didn't have much money, but it was important to them that we attend Catholic Grade School and then Catholic High School.  I am thankful to them for all the things they did without, to send us there.  Both of my parents are gone now.  My Mom died going on nineteen years ago and my Dad passed going on sixteen years ago now.  I can't begin to express to you how very much I miss them every single day.  I just hope that they know how very much I still love them and want them to be proud of me.  That's all I ever cared about, making them proud of me.  I hated to see disappointment on their faces caused by me.

One last one before I close for now.  Do you remember Frankie Avalon's song, "Why", from 1960?  I loved all his music.  He was born on September 18, 1939 in Philadelphia, Pa. 

I do hope that you enjoyed my walk down memory lane this evening.  I go down this lane very often and I must say that it cheers me up.  How about you?

Be safe and may God remain with you always.
Susan

No comments: