Wednesday, October 21, 2015

It's Way Back Wednesday!

Hi friends,

It's Way Back Wednesday, so I'm going way back with my music.  Of course, it doesn't have to be Wednesday for me to listen to those Oldies but Goodies.  I listen to them every day.  We have a Solid Gold Oldies television station available to us and I love tuning in to it when my husband has gone to play Bingo.  He doesn't seem to understand why I enjoy listening to this music.  I guess it's hard to explain to someone why I love this music.

It does take me way back, back to a much simpler time in my life.  A time, when as a teenager, my problems were minimal, to say the least.  Back in the sixties, the life of teens was so much more easier then it is today.  We didn't have any of the electronic devices that all teens and preteens, all carry with them.  We thought we were pretty 'smooth' if we had a pocket sized, portable radio.  I don't believe I actually had one of those until I was about twelve years old.  I thought I'd died and went to heaven.  I was so happy.

I suppose listening to the tunes of my childhood brings me great comfort now.  I realize that they were the most simplistic years of my entire life.  My problems at that time were doing my homework, helping with the house and yard work, and not much more.  Compared to my responsibilities as an adult, that was a drop in the bucket.

I have always loved Rock and Roll, Doo-Woop, and every other type of music that came out during the years 1956 through 1968.  I loved dancing and I learned every single new dance that came out during those years.  My Sister and I watched American Bandstand every day during the week.  We learned every step to every dance; we knew all the singers and groups that were popular during that time period.  We'd dance together all the time.  I can't tell you how many times one of us would dance with the refrigerator door as a partner, while the other one washed dishes.  We knew most of the kids on American Bandstand, and who was a couple or not.

I've never lost that love of music or dance.  I really can't dance much anymore because of my illness, but I still do a few steps now and then.  In fact, last weekend I was listening to some music when my husband came in the room.  I asked him to slow dance with me.  He was so surprised, to say the least.  The song wasn't rock and roll, rather an old song of Patsy Cline's.  It was kind of nice to just dance like that, without actually planning it.    I can't tell you how much I miss getting up and doing The Stroll, The Bristol Stomp, The Twist, The Jitterbug and so very many line dances from Country Music.

I taught line dancing and the two step for about three years.  My husband later helped me to teach.  I was into Country Western Music at that time.  I just love music and dancing of both types.

We went out and bought ourselves western boots and outfits.  We really got into everything western, that's for sure.  But, all good things do come to an end, eventually, for all of us.  For me, that happened over nine and a half years ago when I became a chronic Congestive Heart Patient.  I am thankful that I am still alive.  I believe that God still had plans for me back then, so He left me remain alive to do them.

My Mom and Dad listened to our music a lot also.  I guess they really didn't have too much of a choice in the matter.  That's all we listened to back then.  They were lovers of the big band sounds.  I like some of those also.  How about you?

I feel like that was a lifetime ago now.  I suppose I feel that way, because it was.  I loved becoming a Mother to my three daughters.  They are my greatest accomplishments throughout my entire life.  Here's a photo of them when they were teenagers.  Love the big hair that was so popular back then.


I hope your Wednesday is going well.  Don't forget today is Hump Day so you're now on the downside of the work week.  Be safe always and may God bless each one of you.
Susan

No comments: