Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Hello folks,

Well today's Hump Day so all you working people are on the down slide of your work week now.  I don't think it matters how much you like what you do for a living, you are still happy to see the weekend come around.  I know I always was.

I visited my friend today in the nursing home.  It makes me very sad because when I leave at the end of my visit, I wonder if she even remembers that I was there.  It makes me so sad to see her this way.  She was always such a happy go lucky person, but now she sits with her eyes closed most of the time and she quietly says things that make no sense to me at all. 

What frustrates me so much is that I'm not related to her, therefore I can't enquire of the staff about what is wrong with her; what medicines she's on; if the meds are making her that way or if she is suffering from dementia or something worse. 

Once I'm home again, I feel so helpless.  There's really nothing I can do to make her better.  I go to visit once a week because that's what I need to do.  It's all I really can do for her.  I hope it makes a difference to her, but I'm not sure she always remembers I was there.  Today she couldn't even remember my name when I first arrived. 

The truly sad thing is that her immediate family doesn't visit her.  They don't seem to care about her anymore.  That is so hard for me to comprehend.  I know things were not very pleasant before she went to the nursing home, but how about all the years she took care of her child when she was young.  What is so strong that it destroys the love between a parent and a child? 

I suppose the answer to that question is:  the devil.  Well, my message to him is to "Leave them alone!  They hate you!"  

I choose to remember the way my friend was seven or eight years ago.  She loved a good joke, a good time, and visiting with her friends.  She didn't get around too easily, because she was over weight, but she always smiled and was in a good mood.  I miss that friend, but I still love her anyways.  Please say a prayer for her.

We never know what our lives will be like when we're old.  Well, I'm already old, so I guess, to some extent, I do know, but we have no idea what the future holds for us.  One day everything can just be great and we're so happy and in twenty four hours, our lives can be turned upside down.  This can happen for many reasons.  We simply don't know what's in store for each of us. 

Perhaps that's why prayer is so important to me.  I hope it is to you also.  It's the best way to protect ourselves and our families in the future.  Of course, prayer won't necessary stop things from happening, but it will help to prepare us for whatever happens in our lives.

I hope the remainder of your week is filled with love and peace.  Please take time to say 'I love you' to your family; tomorrow may be to late. 

May God bless each of you today and for the rest of your lives, however long that may be.
Susan

No comments: