Thursday, July 21, 2016

Is there sympathy for the dying?

Good afternoon everyone,

Have you ever took the time to think about what it's like to be dying, slowly.  I'm sure that most people don't think about the subject of death, especially it's their own.  I assume that for most folks, thinking about the prospect of dying, doesn't occur until they become old. 

I believe that's because when we're in our twenties, thirties and early forties, most of us are raising children these days.  You're just trying to get through each day.  Most folks work full time jobs, are raising children, and have busy lives.  The thought of 'death' doesn't even enter our heads.  We're too busy worrying about running kids around, working and paying bills.

I've been visiting a dear friend of mine, once each week, since January.  She's in a nearby nursing home.  When she was first put there, she was angry because she didn't want to stay there.  Unfortunately, she needed to stay there and apparently her family stopped caring very much about what happened to her.  She was angry but she'd cry while I was visiting.  I'm sure that wasn't the only time she'd be in tears or angry.  I admit that she'd become extremely obese, but she was very over-weight the first time I met her, which was at least ten years or more, ago. 

Being obese certainly affects one's health, in many ways.  Her legs were no longer able to hold up her body.  They became extremely weak and affected with arthritis, which is very painful.  I know for a fact, because I have arthritis and osteoarthritis throughout my body.  Thank God that I am able to keep my weight down. 

During the past six months, I've seen my friend go from being angry and crying, to being very depressed.  Unfortunately, she's also been stricken with other medical problems, including dementia.  She rarely opens her eyes when I'm with her and I'm not sure she even remembers that I was there, right after I leave. 

I pray for my friend, every day and I ask God's mercy for her.  She's been failing rapidly.  That is so sad for me to watch.  I can remember what a fun and happy lady she was.  She was overweight, but she was still happy.  She loved playing bingo, even if she didn't win.  She was a very simple person.  She loved her husband very much and she was happy to just share her life with him.

Then in 2011, her husband passed away.  She was devastated.  I can understand how she feels, although my husband's still living and I'm so thankful for that blessing.

I feel that she's slowing slipping away from this world.  It's very sad for me, as well as two other women who also visit with her.  My prayer for her is that God doesn't let her suffer for long.  It's not necessarily her physical suffering, it's more her mental suffering.  She's very sad and depressed about her current situation, which I can understand.  She feels that her family doesn't care about her anymore.  How else would she feel?

I will visit with her once each week because she's my friend, even if she's not aware that I've even been there.  I know I have been there with her and although it's very depressing for me, I will continue going to see her.  I have so much empathy for her.  I don't know exactly what she's going through, but I can imagine what it's like. 

I pray to God that I'm never put in this situation, where my family doesn't come to visit me.  She must feel completely alone.  I speak to her about God and remind her that He is always with her.  As long as He's with her, she will never be totally alone.  I framed a photo of Jesus and put it in her room so she'd remember He is present with her. 

So, to answer my own question, "yes" there is sympathy and empathy for the dying, at least by me.  How about you?  Do you care enough about someone who's just a friend, to help them through the dying process?  I hope so, because we all need someone human in our lives, so we know we're not alone.

Have a good day and may God be with each of you.
Susan 

No comments: