Wednesday, August 24, 2016

So many ways!

Happy Wednesday evening,

I suppose you all are wondering what my title refers to tonight.  Well,  today I was speaking with a customer service lady regarding reservations and after our business was completed, we just got to talking about other things.  It started with if I read electronically or not.  I shared with her that I prefer to hold the book in my hands.  And, that I would rather read a hard bound book.  I just like the feel of it.  It seems more personal.  From there we got onto doing other things and I said that I believe, that if you are old, but your mind is still in good shape, that I do not believe that you're  too old to learn something new, especially if it's something that you've always wanted to do, but haven't.

I then explained how I always wanted to be a writer and artist, but I chose marriage and children as to continuing my education after high school, which I have never regretted.  It wasn't until I was in my thirties and later, that I started taking courses in both painting and drawing; later I took some courses in writing.  I still do all of those things and I'm so proud of myself for not giving up after becoming chronically ill, ten and one half years ago. 

For me, it's not for financial reasons, it's simply about doing those things that I love to do.  I will admit that I can't do them as often as I used to, because I am slowing down considerably within the last year and a half.  But, I will not give up any of the things that help me feel good about myself.  No, I'll never be a well known writer or a famous artist, and I could care less about that. 

To get back to my conversation with this lady today, she asked me what name my books are listed under on Amazon and I told her.  She seemed impressed that someone of my age, and with my health issues, would still work on writing and art. 

Maybe, just maybe, I helped her today.  How?  Well, maybe she always wanted to do something and the time passed and she never did.  Now, perhaps she'll reconsider doing it.  She was a very nice lady and I enjoyed our conversation. 

Sometimes God puts us on the other end of the phone call for a reason.  Yes, she helped me with my reason for calling and maybe, in some small way, I helped her to rethink her options of one thing or another.  Who knows - only God.

Have a good evening and the next time you're chatting with someone you don't know, perhaps something you share with them, will just change their lives.  Even if it's in a very small way.
Susan

No comments: