Tuesday, August 13, 2013

What brings a big smile to your face?

Hi all,

I was listening to WITF last evening and just left it on for awhile.  They were showing performances by the original singers from the 1950's and a few from the 60's.  I couldn't help but think that most of them are older than me and some have even passed away. 

That music takes me back to a time in my life, not connected to any one person.  Not a boyfriend or a spouse.  Just to a time when it was me and the music and dances.  I've been hooked on dancing and music since I was about ten or eleven years old.  My Sister, Carol, was three years older than me, so I assume I started by listening to what she listened to in music. 

Both my Sister and I grew up with Dick Clark and American Bandstand.  It meant so much to me.  Sure, I did all the normal things kids did:  play with dolls, play outdoors, do homework, did chores.  But, those things weren't who I was.  Music was the thing that took me away from any problems I had.  Both my Sister and I hurried home from school, did our homework and sat down in front of the television to watch American Bandstand.  We'd get up and dance the dances, right with the teenagers on the show.  We leaned all the dances and we were very good at them, if I must say so myself. 

As I laid in bed last evening, watching all these Do-Wop performers, I couldn't stop my mind from going back in time to those carefree days of music and dancing.  I felt so free and comforted by the music.  My husband doesn't know this, but I finally couldn't stay in bed any longer, so I got up and did the Stroll, all by myself, in the privacy of my bedroom.  The only light was coming from a tree which I have in my bedroom.  It has those teeny tiny lights that don't give much light and is decorated in the colors of tropical waters.  It's a very peaceful place for me to rest at the end of a tiring day when my body needs to be stretched out and totally at rest. 

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about the music and dances of the fifties and sixties.  On the show, they had an audience.  I didn't see anyone who was young.  They were all oldsters, like me.  They were standing and dancing in place, all the while singing their hearts out. 

Why do we feel that way?  I truly don't know.  For me, it's about those days of sheer childhood.  I probably thought I had some difficulties, but as I grew up, I knew those troubles were nothing, compared to living in the real world, as an adult. 

I have to say, that I truly miss those days.  Those feelings of just pure joy and fun.  I'd already been diagnosed with a heart condition by the age of eight, but back then, I didn't worry about it.  But, today is another story.  My heart diseases rule my life, every day of it.  I'm not complaining though, life is good for me and I am so truly blessed with a wonderful family and good friends.  But most of all, a truly loving and wonderful  husband, who cares about me all the time. 

Do you ever let your mind go back to those young years in your life?  Let me know.  I hope you are having a good day and stay safe.
Susan

No comments: