Thursday, June 23, 2016

Thursday's shocker!

Hi friends,

I grocery shopped this morning and after I got home and put everything away, I was tired so I sat down and decided I'd read the newspaper while I rested. 

As usual, I always look over the obituaries, mainly to see how old the people were who passed away.  Very seldom do I ever see that someone I knew had died.  Today was different.  As I was reading names, I came across a lady who's name sounded familiar.  It turned out that we went to high school together at York Catholic High.  We weren't real close friends, but I do remember that she was always friendly with me and we got along pretty good.  I was sorry to see that she'd died.  She was almost 68 years old.

After I finished reading her obit. I glanced to the left to check out the age of the next woman and as I noticed her name, I did a double take.  Then I saw the photograph and I was in total shock.  This woman has been a friend for so many years and now I read that she died. 

We used to live on Filbert Street in York and so did she and her son.  They lived in the same block and on the same side as us.  She was living with her son and raising him pretty much alone.  She was divorced.  After my husband left me and my daughters, she and I became very close friends.  About six years later, I got remarried but we remained friends, even after I moved to another home in York.  As the years passed, we'd talk on the phone a couple of times a year and visited from time to time. 

Ten years ago, after my health declined, she'd call me to see how I was.  I can't remember her ever having any serious illnesses.  I always thought she was pretty healthy.  It was probably six or eight years ago that she remarried and moved into East York.  We still kept in tough about twice a year. 

I can't tell you how seeing her obit. in the newspaper this morning, shocked me.  I guess I've always thought that because she was fairly healthy, that she'd outlive me by many years.  Things don't always go the way we figure they will though.

I truly don't know why I'm still alive and she's dead, when I'm the one with the serious heart problems.  I guess I never will know why she died and I'm still living, but apparently it's God's will.  I've known for a long time now, that God wasn't finished with me, although I'm not sure exactly what He wants me to do.  I know one of the things is to visit weekly with my friend who's in a nearby nursing home.  She's appears to be in a very serious depression and she's very sleepy when I visit with her.  I suppose it's the combination of depression and medicine, but I wonder if she even remembers that I was there, later that day.  It's been at least six weeks since I've seen her smile. 
I know this is God's will that I visit her, but I just hope my visits do her some good, but I have my doubts.  I will continue visiting her as long as I am able. 

So often we go through life, especially when we're younger, and we chose not to think about the possibility of our death.  Then, like what hit me in the face this morning, death knocks on a door very close to you and the realization hits you:  that could have been me!  It truly makes a person stop and think about mortality and just what God does have planned for them. 

I hope all of you will take a minute to thank God for the gift of life that He's given to you and to each member of your family.  Our lives are a blessing from God Almighty!  Be safe and have a good day.
Susan


No comments: