Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's in a twenty-four hour period?

Hi all,

I was reminded this morning about how very fast time passes.  Exactly how long is a twenty-four hour period?  Yes, I know twenty-four hours!  What I mean is how many hours do you really have in one day?

For me, I usually get up between eight and eight thirty in the morning and I normally go to sleep by ten at night (sometimes 9:30).  That leaves me approximately thirteen hours out of the twenty-four.  From the time I get up, get out of the bathroom, get downstairs, start laundry, make the coffee, eat breakfast and read for a while, put laundry in dryer, another hour has passed.  Now I'm at twelve hours. 

I then return upstairs, turn on my PC, check my email, check FB and my blog, then I get dressed and make the bed.  Now I've used up another half hour or so, leaving me eleven and one half hours.  If I've started laundry, I will now go down and fold it and start another load.  I take the first load of clean clothes upstairs and put them away.I return to the first floor to add the softener into rinse cycle, then I may read until the washer is again finished.  I then put the laundry into the dryer and go up on the third floor and work on a few handmade cards for about forty-five minutes to an hour.   Then I return back down to fist floor and fold second load of wash.  Take it upstairs and put it away. By the time I get this finished, I've lost another 2 1/2 hours, meaning I'm now down to about nine hours. 

So far, I haven't really done very much, now have I?  I eat my lunch while I watch the news and Access Hollywood.  Then I do watch Days of Our Lives.  When that's over, I turn off the television and either work on a novel, with my feet up on the sofa, (or proof read what I already have), or go back to my craft room for forty-five minutes to an hour.  (I can't stay up there any longer than that in the afternoon because I'm too tired and I get such pains in my back if I do.)  Now, it's three o'clock and I need to sit down with a pillow behind my back so the pain goes away.  So, I watch Dr. Phil until 4:00, now I'm back up and in the kitchen to fix dinner for my husband and myself.  We usually eat by 4:30/5:00, at the latest, and by the time we're finished eating and I've cleaned up the kitchen, it's 5:45/6:00 pm.

So, I now have four hours left in my day and, for me, these are pretty much wasted hours, as I am so tired, I don't do anything but recheck my email and FB and then watch television. I head upstairs to the bedroom at 9:00.  My body is just not comfortable anymore on the sofa.  I will watch some reruns of a comedy, either until 9:30 or 10:00, it just depends on how tired and sleepy I am.

So, now mythirteen hours is all gone and what exactly have I accomplished?  Not a whole heck of a lot!  But I have to deal with my days the only way I am able, what with my illness.  Perhaps now you understand why I live every day with Gratitude and Acceptance to God.  After all, I am still alive and breathing and for that, I thank God with all my heart.  I am not now, or will I ever, complain about the way my life now is!

I'm sure your days have a few more waking hours in them than mine, but really, some days I'm sure, even you, don't feel like you've accomplished very much.  Am I right?  Here's hoping today is a prosperous day for all of you and also, for me.
Susan 

No comments: