Friday, October 11, 2013

What's your rating for today's weather?

Hi all,

For all of you who live in the Susquehanna Valley in Pennsylvania, I'm sure your assessment of today's weather is the same as mine.  Uck!!  It's been raining all day long and it's not going to completely stop for another day or two.  We have so many flooded roads, streams, creeks and rivers here in this area.  There have been a few places where they've evacuated trailer parks and neighborhoods because of the heavy rains. 

We had water in our basement today.  I'm not at all surprised because of the heavy downpours we've had.  Most of it's cleaned up now, but who knows what will happen between tonight and tomorrow.  I suppose there's not much we can do about it, so we've just have to wait and see what comes our way.
I hope it's uneventful, to say the least.

Well, another weekend is upon us.  What's on your schedule for Saturday and Sunday?  There's really not much on mine.  I hope to do some more proof reading on my novel.  This is my second read through, and I'm still finding some small errors.  It's very hard to proof read.  If you've never tried it, you should.  You'd find out just how difficult it is.  I usually scan-read when I'm reading a novel., which is very different than proofing. 

I started working on my handmade Christmas Greeting Cards this week.  I now have 13 done.  These were the most time consuming style that I plan on doing.  I love them, but I simply just don't have an hour and a half to do each card.  I hope to start another style this weekend.  Hopefully I can find a few hours tomorrow morning to work on them. 

Have you been thinking about the Christmas Holidays at all yet?  I have been for a few months now.  I've already done some of my shopping and will soon do some more.  I like to be completely done with my shopping and wrapping by the second week in December.  How about you? 

I'll share with you what I learned over the years.  I learned that the earlier you start, the earlier you finish.  This allows you to sit back and enjoy the holidays instead of running around like a wild chicken, being so stressed out that you don't enjoy anything.  There's nothing wrong with purchasing your gifts months in advance.  Take a few dollars from each paycheck and buy one gift.  Soon you will have them all purchased.  One thing I would advise is not to spend more than you can afford.  Christmas isn't about how much money you spend, or at least, it should not be!  If money is tight for you, try making some gifts.  You could craft something for a loved one or bake some goodies for them.  Homemade food is always enjoyed by all.  Whatever you do, DO NOT put yourself in debt by overspending at Christmas.  Remember the real meaning of Christmas:  It's to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.  It's a time to share joy and happiness with your family and friends.  A time to be thankful for all the things God has blessed you with each day.  It's the perfect time to practice Gratitude and Acceptance to the Lord.  Then hopefully, that will continue all year long.

What is almost upon us is Halloween.  Do you have young children who still go Trick or Treating?  I'm not even sure how many cities still have Trick or Treating.  I know some areas now host a Halloween Party for any of the local children.  They feel this is a safer way for the kids to dress up for Halloween and have fun. 

I remember when I was a young teenager, my folks let my Sister and I have a Halloween party on the farm.  We bobbed for apples and went on a hay ride.  We also played other games and had plenty of treats to eat.  I recently got together with three women who I haven't seen since I was a kid.  That Halloween Party was what they still remembered.  It wasn't anything special to me, but apparently it was to them.  They lived in a small town, while I lived in the country on a small farm.  It's funny how  the things that you remember from your childhood, didn't make as much of an impression on you, as it did on your friends. 

Well, whatever you do over the weekend, I hope you have some time to spend on yourself.  Hopefully it will be a relaxing and quiet time for you.  Stay safe and God bless.
Susan

No comments: