Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What day is it?????

Hi everyone,

I'm sure all of you know the answer to that question.  Of course, it's "Hump Day."  Even though it doesn't matter one way or the other to me, I know that for all of you who are working full time jobs, Hump Day is a welcome sight.  You are now on the downward side of the week.

So, what have you all been up to lately?  I've started working on a new hand-sewn project.  My husbands Mother passed away two years ago and he brought some vintage handkerchiefs home with him the last time he visited his Father.  So, my project is to create two wall hangings or table toppers
out of them.  First I washed, dried, and ironed all of them.  Then I picked out the ones that would be suitable for this project.  I then cut them in four pieces, using only the corners.  I tried to use a two color theme for each, but I didn't have many colored ones to chose from. 

I am going to make one for each of my husband's daughters.  I thought maybe they'd appreciate having them, since the hankiesbelonged to their Grandma.  I now have all the hankies hand sewn onto the felt backing piece.  Next I need to sew some beads on here and there.  After that, I will hand sew the backing piece of felt onto the fronts, overlapping the back to make a border on all four sides. 

This isn't a new hand-made project for me.  Some years ago, when I had my own craft business, I made at least eight of these.  I gave one to each of my daughters for Christmas and kept one for myself.  The rest I sold.  I made a nice profit on them, although it took me hours upon hours to complete them.  Mine hangs in my living room.  The ones I am making now are not quite as large as the earlier ones.

Here's a picture of mine:






It makes me feel good to be doing something constructive while I am sitting watching television in the evenings, especially during the cold winter months.  Of course, I work on either writing projects or some other creative projects all year round. 

My newest book, "Generation to Generation:  Passing it Onward" is now available on Amazon.com.  It's about Ethical Wills.  If you've never heard of them, this book will explain exactly what they are and how long they've been around.  Actually they've existed for centuries now.  I will also give you some various ideas on how to create one for yourself.  I made one for each member of my immediate family in 2012.  It was very important to me to have something like this to pass on to my loved ones.  I will have a few soft cover copies for sale.  If you'd like to purchase one, let me know.  Otherwise you can purchase or borrow one by going to www.amazon.com and entering my full name in the search block.  All fifteen of my books will come up for your viewing.  Of course, you can only purchase them for electronic reading on amazon.  Also, did you know that you can read books on most any electronic device.  You will need to download the app on amazon before purchasing or borrowing it.

I haven't decided what my next writing project will be as of yet.  I suppose I'll take some time to think on it.  I'd be lost if I couldn't write or do something creative. 

Although I'm ill, I thank God every day that I still have the ability to do what I love most:  being creative.  I was reading an article in the paper about a local man who has an eye disease, which has rendered one eye totally blind and the other partially blind.  He is only in his forties, but he hasn't let this disease get him down.  He and his wife have started their own business.  He says that he couldn't just sit around every day and collect disability.  How great is that?  You don't hear that often these days.  I'm sure he's a God loving man, too.

I do hope that each and every one of you will use your talents wisely.  God gave your talents to you because He knew you'd do great things with them.  Please don't waste your talents, no matter what they are.  Make the time to do what you love doing, the thing that makes you feel good about yourself.  Don't feel that you're too old to start something new, because you're never to old to do what you love.  If I can do it at my age and with my illness, then so can you.  Good luck!
Susan













No comments: