Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!

Hi all,

I want to wish each of you a happy Halloween.  That being said, I want to say that I hope you all are ready for a cold and windy weekend ahead.  But, as you all know, we have absolutely no control over the weather at all.  We never have and I don't believe we ever will!

I'm sitting here listening to the Solid Gold Oldies on Comcast television.  Whenever my husband isn't home for awhile in the evening, I love listening to those old memories.  My husband thinks it's weird for me to do that, but I don't think it's weird at all.  The late 1950's and most of the 1960's were the decades of the music and dance I grew up with. 

I grew up watching the television show, "American Bandstand" hosted by Dick Clark.  My sister and I knew a lot of the teenagers names and who was dating who on it.  I'm not at all surprised that music and dance was a big part of my childhood years, as my Mom and Dad loved to dance to the songs of the big band music, as well as, rock and roll music. 

I can still remember being in awe at how great my parents were on the dance floor, or perhaps just kicking it up in the living room.  I loved watching them dance.  They were great at doing the Swing, which is similar to what we called the Jitterbug.  I can't tell you what I'd give to be able to see them dance, just one more time.  Sometimes when the song, "Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darren is playing, I can close my eyes and see Mom and Dad dancing to it.  Bobby Darren was my Dad's favorite rock and roll artist.  When I do that, it brings me to tears. 

I miss those carefree days of my youth.  I am sure that at that time, I thought things were tough, but once I became an adult, I realized what "tough living" really was all about.  When I was growing up, my folks didn't have much money, but we kids had everything we needed in life.  Maybe we didn't have everything we wanted, but I believe it taught us to be frugal and how to accept life as it really is. 

One of the important lessons I learned was that if you wanted to be truly happy, you needed to look inside yourself.  True happiness comes from being happy with who you are; being honest and loving to everyone; being satisfied with what God gives to you.  I can truly say that at this point in my life, even though I live every single day with chronic illness, I am truly content and happy with my life.  I have everything I need to survive and then more.  I have been very blessed by God in so many ways during my entire lifetime.  I have no regrets!

Do any of you remember the song, "You're the One" by The Vogues.  It came out in 1965.  It was a jitterbug dance song.  There were four members in the group.  If you don't remember them, how about "Brown Eyed Girl" from 1967, performed by Van Marrison.  He travelled to New York in 1967 to record his first solo album.  I don't believe I ever purchased either one of these two songs, but I do remember them very well. 

I used to save my allowance and then I'd purchase 45 records.  I must have had well over one hundred and fifty of them.  Actually, I still have them.  They're packed away in a carton in our basement.  My husband and I were just talking about having his nephew put them on CD's for me.  I do still have a record player that will play them, but I mostly listen to oldies on disc.

Here's another song for you:  "Since I Fell For You" from 1963.  It was performed by Lenny Welch.  I loved this song so much.  He was born May 15, 1938 in Asbury Park, NJ.  It was a terrific slow dance number.  "Well it's too bad, and it's too sad, but I'm in love with you...."

Well, I'll let you all go for tonight.  I do hope you stay warm over the weekend and do something fun, even if it's indoors.  Stay safe and God bless each one of you.
Susan

No comments: