Friday, December 19, 2014

Are you tired yet?

Hi all,
Well, Christmas is in five days.  Are you ready yet?  I do hope you haven't left everything go to the last minute.  Of course, I'm an old lady and trying to accomplish everything at the last minute wouldn't be good for me!  I've been ready for at least the last week.  Oh, I do have last minute meal preparations to attend to yet, but that's to be expected.

My youngest daughter watches a one and a half year old little boy and today they came to visit me.  His name is Jack and he is so adorable.  When he smiles, his whole little face lights up.  Of course, as I was saying goodbye, I thought to myself, "I would be lucky to be able to watch him for an hour!"  He's not a bad little boy, just a normal toddler.  It's me who's too old, but I do love spending time with him and my daughter.  It's been a long time since I've had a toddler around.  My youngest grandson will be eighteen next April.  That's quite a long time.  Of course, when my six grandsons were little, I was healthier than I am now.  But, I so enjoyed this little boy visiting me today.  Of course, I also enjoyed the visit with my daughter.

I've decided on an easy menu for Christmas Eve this year.  I will be serving home made Crab Bisque Soup, Shrimp, bar-b-q meatballs with condiments, sandwich rolls and dinner rolls, home made macaroni salad and pickles.  This will be followed by desserts of: pecan pie, cookies, 9 layer cookie bars, home made chocolate bark (4 kinds) and of course, stuffed dates.  I say 'of course' because making and serving stuffed dates is a tradition from my Mother.  If you don't know what they are, you take pitted dates, slice them open on one side, and then fill them with peanut butter and roll them in granulated sugar.  Oh, I may also make a jello mode as a salad for dinner.  We'll see!

What's on your memo for Christmas Eve?  Or aren't you cooking dinner that night.  Perhaps you are going away, which is also nice.  For  Christmas Day, I will be cooking a stuffed turkey for my husband and myself.  I usually don't make the mashed potatoes because of having the stuffing (which is fattening enough).  I will make gravy and we'll have a vegetable and cranberry sauce, of course.  We don't eat at any particular time, but it's usually between one and two o'clock.  It's just the two of us, so we kind of eat whenever we want.  After getting up in the morning, whenever that is, we fix our breakfast and then exchange our gifts.  I've gotten to enjoy our quiet Christmas Day, especially since we have a full house the evening before. 

What are your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day plans?  I'm sure that most of you have plans, but for those who don't, please don't spend this time alone.  If you have no family, check with your church to see if anyone is opening their home to visitors; or perhaps a neighbor would invite you to join them.  This is not a good time of year to be alone!  But, please remember that you are never entirely alone, for God is right there with you, always!

I know I've mentioned before that my newest book, "My Soothing Poems from the Heart" is now available for electronic reading on amazon.com.  Please take a few minutes and check it out.  It is my first book of poems and I truly enjoyed composing each and every one of them.

 
 I wish all of you a productive weekend.  Be safe and smile at everyone you see.  You just may be the only person who will smile at them that day!
Susan

No comments: