Monday, December 8, 2014

Friendship is very special!

Hi all,

Well everyone, Christmas is coming very fast now and I can't wait.  I simply love this time of year.  How about you?  If you hate it, is it because you wait until the last minute to try to do everything?  My guess would be that could be one of the reasons.  Or perhaps it's because you simply don't have enough money to buy gifts for everyone. 

I realize a lack of money can certainly put a squeeze on your joy for the season.  But, if you plan ahead of time, things won't be that bad.  It may be too late to change anything for this year, but it's not too late to work at making things better for next Christmas. 

I remember when I was young, with three small daughters, and very little money.  The best suggestion I can give to you is to try starting a Christmas fund now, for next year.  Even if you can only afford to put away five dollars a week, that's at least something to work with.  You will have $250. to purchase small gifts for your family. 

I remember when I was a teenager, my Sister and I helped our Mom with the cleaning, laundry and started dinner.  Mom worked a full time job at a sewing factory and we had chores to do to help her out.  She gave us each $5. a week as our allowance.  Back then, that was quite a bit of money.  My Dad would put fifty cents a week in a Christmas club for each of us.  By the middle of November, we would each have $25. to buy gifts for each other, our Mom and Dad and our little brother.  Back then,
$25. was a lot of money and it allowed each of us to do all of our shopping. 

Another way to give to others, even when you have very little money, is to hand make them a gift.  You could crochet or knit all your family members a beautiful scarf or hat.  Or, you could bake a nice loaf of pumpkin bread, a platter of cookies, or any tasty treat for your family and friends.  If you're craft, like me, you can create anything you'd like for gifts.  I've certainly done that many, many times in the past.  People truly do appreciate home-made items.   I'm sure you can think of something you could do and save money, as well.  Take your home-made items and wrap them up with a big bow and see the smile that your family and friends have, when they open your gift. 

Or, a great gift you could give to someone who has young children, would be to give them a certificate for an evening of free babysitting some Saturday or Sunday.  Or, perhaps you could give them a certificate to 'house watch' for them while they're on vacations.  Gifts don't always have to cost you money.  Just take some quiet time to really think about what you could do for family and friends, that would mean a lot to them. 

I hope some of these suggestions will help you.  Another suggestion that I have for you, would be to start shopping or creating in January or February.  This works wonderfully, especially if you are hand making gifts.  Well, all except for bakery items, of course.  Then, make sure you start wrapping your hand created gifts by the middle of November. 

I promise you that you will enjoy the Christmas Holidays so much more if you plan ahead.  I've already made three different batches of chocolate bark.  I will soon make my cookies and other baked goodies.  As long as you have a nice cool place to store them, they will store nicely until you are ready to give them away or eat them.  You could purchase a big plastic tote with a tight lid to store them in and let them in your garage.  It's always much colder there and they will keep wonderfully.

I have a Red Hat group and yesterday, Sunday, we had our Christmas party.  It was held at a local Hoss's Restaurant.  There were twelve of us attending and we all had a very nice time.  We ladies, exchange small gifts (either home made or purchased) and then we each purchase something small for each husband.  We don't want them to feel left out of the gift-exchange. We got some very nice gifts.  It was very nice spending time with each of them.

Do you have your Christmas tree up yet?  Ours is up and I love it.  But, I will have to tell you that I have six trees up all year round.  I love seeing the little white lights, especially during the winter months.  I have one in the bedroom as well.  It is decorated in the colors of the Caribbean Ocean, with the miniature white lights.  When I lay in bed at night before going off to sleep, it relaxes me so much just seeing my 4 foot tree.  It gives me a very comforting feeling.

Here's a photo of one of my small trees:




I hope your week is a very productive one, filled with joy and love.  Be safe and God bless you.
Susan






























No comments: