Wednesday, March 2, 2016

And it's here once again!

Hi all,

Well, it's Hump Day once again.  Perhaps you've figured out why I often write a new post on a Wednesday and if not, it has nothing to do with it being hump day.  It's just that early Wednesday evenings, I find myself with a quiet home and that gives me ample opportunity to sit quietly and write a new blog post.

I watched the weather report earlier and after having 50 and 60 degree temperatures over this last weekend and into Monday, we are in for another snow storm tomorrow evening.  Yippee, not!  I'm sitting here writing this blog and listening to the Solid Gold Oldies on Comcast TV.  They are playing the song, "Hey Paula" by Paul and Paula, from 1963.  I always loved that song.  It was a good slow number to dance to and you could also do The Stroll to it, if you weren't asked to dance slow. 

How much do you remember from 1963?  I was a Sophomore at  York Catholic High School during the '63/'64 school year.  I honestly don't remember what subjects I took in school, but I do know that I was real big into music and dancing.  I was a real fan of American Bandstand.  I'd been watching it every day after school, since I was about ten or eleven years old.  I loved the dances of the late 50's and all through the 60's and I basically knew how to do all of them.

That was so many, many years ago, but I still remember my love of music and dance.  I still listen to those tunes and once and a while, will get up and dance, but, only for about five minutes.  Since I became chronically ill, ten years ago, I don't have the strength or energy to dance much anymore.  Every once in a blue moon, I'll get my husband to slow dance with me, to one of my favorite, old songs.  I surely miss both the music and dancing.

How about you?  Were you into music and dancing when you were young?  I know my three daughters loved music and dancing also.  I suppose that's why I also loved the music from their era, which was the 80's. 

If you're in my age bracket, what do you miss most?  It was really a much simpler time back then.  Oh yes, we had killings and robberies, but they weren't as frequent as they are today.  We also had drugs, but they weren't anything like they are today.  I suppose the most shameful thing I remember that happened back then, was for a girl to get pregnant outside of marriage.  That, for teens, was a very shameful situation to find yourself in. 

What do you think?  Were you a teen during the fifties and sixties, like me?  I suppose some folks would say that the Hippies were a big problem back then, but I can't really say that I knew much about them or even cared much.  Of course, you might say that's because I attended  Catholic school for eleven of my twelve years of school.  But, honestly, I don't think that changed who I was or even who I am today.  I'm still that same person, only much, much older!  

Here's another song from 1963 by Lou Christie, "Two Faces Have I."  Do you remember that one?  I do remember the song very well, but his name doesn't really come to mind just now.    I don't recall him ever appearing on American Bandstand.  Do you?

Well, to get away from that subject...  how are you coming with doing something creative?  Oh, come on, you need to get something started.  I know how stressful life can be these days and doing something creative will help relax you.  I promise it will.  

I'm still working on Christmas stuff, but right now, I'm hand embroidering Easter table runners for my three daughters.  I made one for myself last year, so I thought I'd make them one for this year.  I don't really decorate for Easter anymore, but it is nice to have a seasonal table runner on my dining room table.  It makes me smile when I see it.

Well, whatever you  do, try something creative.  It will also help you to feel good about yourself.  It's such a shame that hand sewing has gone by the wayside these days.  Most young women don't even know how to sew a proper hem in an item, much less crochet, knit, embroider or use a sewing machine.  I truly think that's sad.

Well, I suppose I'll close for now.  Have a great evening and may God bless each one of you.
Susan 

No comments: