Sunday, July 28, 2013

Your Hands!


Hi all,

I was just reading a post on Facebook.  It was the story of an elderly man and his Grandson who was visiting with the old man.  It seems the Grandpa was just staring at his hands and finally the Grandson asked if he was okay. 

He went on to explain how, all during his life, his hands were always there for him, even as his body started giving out on him.  This story made me think, brought tears to my eyes and yes, made me look at my own hands. 

The skin on my hands is all wrinkled, the veins all pop up and are blue.  Four of my fingers and my two thumbs are bent out of shape from osteoarthritis.  Sometimes they ache from the pain.  But over the past sixty five years, my hands have done so much for me.  Like right now,  I'm typing and they just seem to know where all the letters are without me looking. 

How about all the times they've dressed me, feed me, tied my shoes, combed my hair, washed my body, zipped up my zippers, ironed my clothes, loaded clothes into both the washer and the dryer.  I could go on and on, but I'm sure by now, you've got the picture.

What would I have done without my hands?  Not much I assume!  And, no matter how old we become, we still need our hands to work for us.  How would I prepare our meals, and place them on the plates or eat, without my hands?  How would I dust my house, how would I have diapered my daughters when they were little? 

I believe the problem with us humans, is that we never stop to thank God for giving us all that He has blessed us with.  The human body is phenomenal; every part of our anatomy is needed to give us a good chance at life.  Of course, there are people who loose a leg, an arm, or any other malady, who learn to live either without them, or receive an attachment of a leg or arm. 

Come on, be honest, none of us usually ever think about our hands.  We just use them, day in and day out.  Where would we be without them?  I truly hope I never need to find out. 

I've been giving my hands a good workout lately, working on my current novel, "Train-Trekking" With A Capital "T".  It's moving right along and I'm getting very excited about it.  I've added a new twist to this one.  I hope you'll all be anxious to read it once it's complete.  I'm not pushing for any particular deadline date.  The writing is going well.

This weekend is soon coming to an end.  I hope yours was a good one.  Stay safe and be happy.
Susan




No comments: