Saturday, June 22, 2013

Are your creative juices flowing?

Hi all,

I'm curious about whether or not anyone has been doing anything creative.   I know that when the summer months arrive, a lot of people would rather be outside.  Perhaps you have joined a pool in your area, have a swimming pool of your own, visit a local park with your children, or head out to the country.  All of these things sound wonderful.  Don't you think?  So, you say that doing some of these things don't allow much time for you to be creative.

I'd have to say that's only half true.  While at a swimming pool, one could do some sketching, read a book, write in your journal, write down some recipes that sound good to you so that when you get home you can try something new and delicious.  If you're just hanging out in your back yard, you could do a little creative arrangement of some beautiful flowers in your flower beds.

There are so many things a person can do and still be creative.  Too many people think that being creative means you have to draw, paint or write.  That's just not true.  Those of you who enjoy cooking and baking are being creative.  My husband works part time as an estimator for a fire alarm company.  All the estimates he works on is showing his creative ability.  Being a secretary, a president, a clerk has their own creative twists.  Don't cut yourself short. 

As for me, I'm still chugging along with my writing.  I'm currently working on my new novel.  It will be the third in a series of novels.  Although, any of the books could be read without reading the others.  I thought I'd get some time today to get back on it, but it just didn't work out that way.  Of course, the day isn't over yet, so we'll see. 

It was pretty warm and a bit humid today.  I was only out for some time this morning, and then for about an hour in the late afternoon.  I just watched the weather and they say it's to be hot and humid once again tomorrow.  Wonderful!  Not!

Next Sunday, there are two, possibly three women coming to visit with me.  The thing that's so great about this, is that I haven't seen any of them for years and years.  All three of them went to grade school with me, at St. Joseph's Catholic School in Dallastown.  One's family moved to Lancaster County after sixth grade, I haven't seen her for 54 years.  As for the other two, we went through grade school and high school (York Catholic High School) together.  Then we all went on our own way.  Although we've all continue to live locally.  I may have seen these two women at one or two of the YCHS class reunions, but I haven't attended any of those for many years. 

I think it's wonderful when you can reconnect with adults that you knew years and years ago.  It's funny how, as you grow old, what's important to you changes.  Really, how much do we really change after high school?  For some of us, our appearance changes:  we gain or loose weight, we have thinning hair or no hair (men), and for those who still have hair, it's probably turned gray.  Of course, we all get those pesky wrinkles, age spots, thin skin and many illnesses for some of us. 

As for me, I am a bit heavier now than when I was in high school, I certainly have wrinkles and age spots, but, I have very few gray hairs.  Whoopee!  I truly don't care if my hair would have gone all gray.  I just wish it was a bit thicker, but then it's never been thick, so why would it be that way now?

I will never even consider a face lift, botox or any other form of treatment like that.  I believe that I look the way God intended me to look.  Of course, I mean, OLD!  I have no problems with that.

Well, you have one more day left to your weekend.  I do hope you will use your creative abilities at some point tomorrow.  How about taking your camera with you, whatever you're plans are for tomorrow.  Take some spectacular photos.  Let your creative ability show through in them.  How about some pictures of just the sky.  Just stand still and look up!  It's amazing how beautiful the sky often becomes.  Just do it!

I wish all of you a good finish to the weekend.  Stay safe and have some fun.
Susan

Here are a few photos of the sky which I took while in OC, MD.









No comments: