Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How did I get this way?

Hi all,

Have you every wondered how you got to be the way you are?  Here's what I believe:  we are what we learn as a child; family traits carry on from parent to child; as we grow into adulthood, we stand tall on our own morals and values.  I believe all of the above it true. 

If we are raised by loving, honest, dependable and hard working parents, then most of us pass these same things on to any children we may have.  Not all parents are good parents, but for the most part, I'm speaking about those who are. 

Does this mean we never do something that's just wrong?  Absolutely not!  We're all human and we all have our faults, particularly earlier in our lives, but most of us acknowledge right from wrong and do the very best we can in life. 

Basically, what I'm referring to is our little idiosyncrasies.  Mostly, I'm much like my Mother, but the older I become, I realize I'm so much like my Dad.  That's not a bad thing, because both my Parents were wonderful people.

As far as my Mother, she was very creative.  She was always open, honest and a very loving woman.  She believed in God and taught us to put our faith in Him.  She taught me to cook, clean, wash clothes, iron, clean up after myself, but most important, she taught me to have faith in the people I love and in myself.  I learned from her to treat and love every member of my family the same, this included those guys that my daughters chose to love.  Of course, I didn't realize all these things when I was growing up.  It wasn't until I became an adult that it all made perfect sense to me. 

Now, for my Dad.  I was Daddy's little girl, that is until my baby brother came along, six years after me.  Don't get me wrong, he still loved me just as much as always.  He was different, in so many ways from my Mom.  He didn't have a specific religion, although later in life he attended the Catholic Church services every Sunday along side my Mother.  He truly believed in God and trusted Him, always.  I know that he's up in heaven right next to my Mother.  One of the things I remember about my Dad, was that as he aged, he became a home body.  It was like pulling teeth to get him to take trips with my Mother, even though he was in good health.  He just seemed content being at home.

 I never really understood this about my Dad.  Well, that is, until the last few years.  Since I am ill, there isn't a lot I am able to do anymore, but I find myself perfectly happy to stay right here, in my home.  I'm content being here.  I have no big thrills to see the world, although that's not something I would be able to do any longer.  I feel no regrets.  Sometimes I wander why I feel this way, when my friends all love running around here and there all the time.  Of course, most of them are fairly healthy. 

I believe this is because I'm content with myself and my life.  I've embraced my illness totally.  I'm not in any way bitter or angry that this happened to me.  Quite the opposite, I'm so blessed to still be alive and able to do what little activities I can.  My writing enriches my life, as well as my hand made greeting cards.  I know that God has placed His Divine Mercy on me and that's really all I need.

I find that now I know what is important and what isn't in life.  All those little things I used to worry about just don't matter to me anymore.  Oh, I'm still a fairly organized person and a creature of habit.  I have my daily routines and basically never defer from them.  I'm a list person and I like things planned ahead of time.  I really don't fly by-the-seat-of-my-pants very well!  I like to think things through and know ahead of time what direction I want to take with anything that I do, especially in my writing and art work. 

I love my friends and like spending time with them when I get the chance.  I'm not really concerned about how clean my house is, if somethings a bit wrinkled, what color my house walls or rugs are.  I know what is important in my life.  I do not try to impress people.  If you don't like me for the person I am, then that's okay.  Not everyone is going to like everyone they meet, and that's just the way it is.

So, just some food for thought for you.  Have you ever wondered why you're the way you are?  If not, perhaps you should!  Sometimes there's an underlying reason why we do and act the way we do.
I hope your day is a good one.
Susan

No comments: