Sunday, June 2, 2013

I'm at peace, are you?

Hi all,

Happy Sunday to you all!  I feel very much at peace today.  I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that I just prayed the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.  For anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's a prayer that's sung, over and over on the rosary beads.  I must say that praying the rosary never moved me the way the chaplet does.  It always brings me to tears; it refreshes my soul and brings peace into my heart. 

Today, being Sunday, is God's day of rest.  I'm sure, no matter what religion you are, most of you believe that God created Monday through Saturday and then He created Sunday, as His day of rest.  It is His day for us to praise Him and give Him thanks for all He's blessed us with each day. 

Even those of you who are, perhaps ill, or poor, or sad, or emotionally upset, are blessed by God.  He gives you the breath of life, so that you will wake up every morning to live another day.  He didn't make all those sad things happen to you.  In most all cases, we cause our own pain and hopelessness.
God is always there, ready to help us pick ourselves back up and move onward.  If that's what we're choosing to do!  And, I hope it is!

Last evening my husband, Gerry, and I attended a graduation party for our Grandson, Toby.  Both he and Tucker (another Grandson) graduated on Friday evening from YCHS.  Toby's party was very nice.  His Mom (my daughter, Candy) and her husband (JD) had a streaming movie of Toby from birth until the present time.  (She also did one for her oldest son, Jacob, when he graduated.)  It was quite moving.  It's funny, how as I looked at each of those snapshots, from when he was a baby and a toddler, it seems like just yesterday.  I remember that small loving child so clearly. 

I have to say that each of my six Grandsons (Jacob, Cori, Tucker, Toby, Luke and Tanner) were precious little boys, who have grown into handsome, strong and wonderful young men.  Well, Tanner and Luke aren't quite grown up men yet, but they're almost there.  Some of the best days of my life were when my boys were little and I'd teach them a craft, or we'd sit down and I'd read them story books.  I had quite a collection of "Golden Story Books", and they each had their own favorites. 

One of the other things they always enjoyed was having me share stories with them about my Grandpa Utterback or my Grandma Welsh.  I remember, specifically, Toby always asking, "Grandma, tell us that story about your Grandpa and the apple tree." 

Toby wasn't the only one who enjoyed that story.  I recall when I was a youngster on the farm, my Grandpa would spend all day Wednesday and Saturday with us.  Mom would always have a special supper for him with his favorite foods and dessert.  After we finished eating, we'd all remain sitting at the table (which we usually never did) and listened while Grandpa told us stories from long, long ago. 

One of my favorites (and apparently Toby's), was when Grandpa was about ten years old.  He and his friend (who just happened to be black) went into a nearby apple orchard, in hopes of finding a few good apples to sneak.  This particular time, Grandpa's young friend decided that the best apples were far up in the trees.  So, he choose to climb a tree.  When he got up as far as he felt he needed to go, he inched out, backward, on a limb to get the juiciest apples. 

Meanwhile, my Grandpa was standing guard down below.  He noticed that each time his friend inched out a bit further, the limb would got down lower.  He proceeded to tell his friend to stop there and just pick two apples.  But, his friend kept telling him that he'd just move out a wee bit further.
And so he did.  Suddenly, the limb cracked and down he came.  All the while, shouting, "Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, Lordy!"

Before Grandpa would even get to that part of the story, he'd start laughing and have a hard time telling us the story.  Then we'd start laughing at Grandpa laughing so hard.  Of course, we'd heard that story so many times over the years, but we still always wanted to hear it again.  Oh, what I wouldn't give to hear him telling it, just one more time.  But, alas, Grandpa passed away when I was fourteen years old.  I still miss him today.

As I sit here today, I feel old.  I will be soon turning sixty-five years old.  Don't misunderstand me, I'm not feeling sad, just like I've lived many, many years already.  I suppose that's because I have!  I love my life just the way it is, even with my chronic illnesses.  I believe that I am right where God wants me to be today.  I know God loves me and is always with me. 

So, I suppose that explains why I say I am at peace today, and for a long time now.  I hope each and every one of you will find that inner peace which comes from God.  I truly can't imagine living my life without it.  God bless and keep you!
Susan
These are my six Grandson whom I's so ver proud of always...

No comments: