Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I'm Getting Ready!

Hi all,

What are you ready to do, anything interesting?  I am getting prepared to visit York Catholic High School on Friday.  I have been invited to be a quest speaker on writing.  To be honest, I'm a bit nervous.   I'll be speaking with groups of teenagers so, perhaps I shouldn't be too stressed, as I know how quickly they can tune out an adult.  I'm hoping I can keep them interested. 

I would imagine that one of the questions they will want to ask is if I make a lot of money from my writing.  I'm sure they will be very disappointed when I share with them that I don't write to make money.  Sure, it helps to break even, but that's not what's important to me. 

I suppose if I had started writing seriously back when I was young, then things might be different.  I certainly am not rich, but we get by with what we have.  As far as I'm concerned, I have everything that I need to survive:  a home to live in, enough food to eat, sufficient money to pay our bills, a wonderful family and great friends.  We have enough money to have a trailer, and I have to say a very nice trailer at that, on a permanent site in a campground.  We have gone on two cruises and we get to do some very nice things.  So, I don't need the money to make me happy, I am very contented and happy with my life just the way it is now. 

I suppose if you knew me, you'd maybe ask how that could be true, since I have Chronic Congestive Heart Failure and a very weak heart.  I refuse to allow myself to sit and feel sorry for myself or to play the 'woo is me card'!  Okay, from time to time it gets me down, but I refuse to allow it to take control of my life. 

So, I feel very humble to have been asked to be a guest author and speaker at York Catholic this Friday.  If I can touch just one young person with my experiences, then I will be a happy lady.  I truly believe that doing whatever you love, using your God given talents, whatever they may be, is what God wants us to do.  It's what I try to do everyday and will continue to do for the rest of my life, however long or short that may be. 

So, wish me luck for Friday morning with these young students.  It sure was a very, very long time since I was a student at York Catholic.  It's going on  forty-seven years since I graduated from there.  Boy, that's a long time ago!  It was probably before most of those students parents were even born.  Now I really feel old!

On that note, I think I'll close for tonight.  My best regards to all my faithful readers.  I'd love to read some of your comments, if you care to leave any. 
Susan

No comments: