Sunday, January 27, 2013

I'm Moving Right Along!

Hi all,

Well, the weekend is rapidly coming to an end.  I hope it was a good one for all of you.  I also hope that you got to do something nice for yourself, or something fun.  As for me, my weekend was very a very productive one. 

I spent some time on Saturday working on a new card design, which I must admit, was a bit tricky.  I made four cards with matching envelopes, but it took me about three and one half hours to finish them.  At that rate, I'd never get my cards finished by the time I needed them! 

I do enjoy trying out new designs but that is a bit time consuming.  Oh well, they're done now and I got to play with a new technique.  So, I'm not really complaining.

I also spent about two hours yesterday on my writing.  My novel is coming along very well.  I also spent about an hour and a half doing research for it.  Research is a very important part of writing.  One that you can not let slide.  It is essential that anything you may refer to in your novel are actual facts.  Make sure you get all your facts straight! 

I was writing about a musical group (a fictional group) who was playing songs from the big band era.  They were doing renditions of the Glen Miller Band and the Benny Goodman Band.  So, obviously, I needed to do some research on the music those bands played, some title names and so forth.  I couldn't just make something up when those groups were not fictitious.  Keep that in mind if you are planning on doing any writing.  Whether you are writing fiction or non-fiction, all your facts must be true.  Research! Research! Research!

I was just thinking this morning how much easier it is today to do that research.  Twenty five years ago, I'd be going to the library or trying to find some facts in my encyclopedias.  It really is so much easier today.  You just turn on your computer and do a search.  How easy is that?  And how much faster? 

Anyone who is a teenager or perhaps in their early twenties,  has no idea what I am talking about.  They grew up with computers.  I'm not even sure if they still manufacture encyclopedias.  Does anyone else know?  Just wandering!

I hope I get a chance to do some writing every day this week.  I do have a commitment on Tuesday morning and I really must get started on my cleaning.  Although, it's very easy for me to put off the cleaning in favor of writing or creating my cards.  We'll just have to see how the week progresses.

I hope you all have a good week.  Travel safely and don't forget a little time for yourself each day!
Susan

No comments: