Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Just Get Back To It!


Hi all,

Can you guess from my title, what I need to get back to doing?  If you guessed the answer is writing, you would be correct.  It's been at least two days since I worked on my sequel and I really need to get motivated once again. 

I was asked a question today.  It was:  How do you get all the ideas for your stories?  How do you decide on where the characters are going to go or do?  I explained that I do some preplanning on where the storyline is going and what some of the plots will be about.  I do most of my research ahead of time so I don't have to take the time to stop and research something when I'm on a roll. 

I start using an empty folder.  One with at least four or five pocket pages inside.  That way, I can store all my research in one place.  I also make a character list, any pertinent names that will be used as the story progresses and any other information that will be used over and over as the story moves along.  I type them up and print a copy so I can keep it in my folder along with everything else. 

Doing this will save you time when you come to a spot where you can't remember a particular name or place or some other fact that you've used earlier in the story.  I also type up a character sheet with all the basic facts about each person in the story.  This also saves time later.  I do a separate sheet for each character and her/his family in the book.  This way I can add on any new information as I go along.  It also is a good tool if you are planning on doing a sequel novel using the same group of characters. 

Before I really got started writing the book, I purchased the bar code and ISBN number.  I would have also taken care of obtaining the copyright, but you can't do that until the book is finished.  That's because you need to mail them a copy of the finished book before they will issue you a copyright.  That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but then nobody asked me.  Just my opinion! 

I hope to get the story flowing once again, on my book "Crafty-Cruise" Wtih A Capital "C".  I haven't exactly planned out the ending for this story yet.  But that will come soon enough. 

Whatever you do, whatever makes you feel good about yourself, just do it!  Use those talents that God has given you to bring some good into this world.  Take care and happy thoughts!
Susan

No comments: