Saturday, April 6, 2013

I ask, "Why is it that way?"

Hi all,

My question, "Why is it that way," pertains to the idea, that the younger generation today thinks that when you get older, you aren't smart anymore.  What's up with that, anyways?  Here's what I do know:  As we age, we get smarter by retaining knowledge!  It doesn't stop when you get to middle age or reverse from there.  It's true that as we age, we tend to forget things a bit.  But usually after a few minutes, we do remember what we were trying to remember in the first place.  That's just the way the mind works as it ages. 

It's true, that some older people become afflicted with Alzheimer's or dementia.  That's a medical illness.  It does happen to people as they age, but it's a small percentage of older folks it affects.  Most of us senior citizens, are quite smart and have retained much of what we've learned throughout our lives.  It may take us a few minutes to remember things, but eventually we do. 

There's a new reality show called Forever Young on television now.  I haven't gotten to see it because it doesn't come on until 10:00 pm, and I'm usually asleep by then.  I can just imagine the way the young people on the show react to the seniors.  Maybe I will be able to catch the show when it goes into reruns on TVland. 

Have you ever realized that when you are having a serious conversation with your adult children, they don't usually want to hear what you're suggesting.  They want to lay all their problems on your doorstep, but truly don't want your advice.  They just want you to agree with them.  I suppose they think you don't know what's best for them.  How silly that statement is because you've always put them first, all through their lives. 

What I notice is that, in the end, they take your advice because they know that no one loves them, or cares more about their welfare, than you do!  The thing is that no-one (at any age, even us old folks)really likes to be told that their way of thinking or what they're doing, is not what's best for them. 

I like to think that the reason senior citizens have so much information to share is because we've been storing all those tidbits in our brain, just waiting for the moment when they will be helpful to someone. 

Living life every day is a learning process.  Month after month, year after year, we grow both in knowledge and ability.  Okay, maybe the older generation isn't as proficient with the electronic gadgets of today, but we are capable of learning.  Basically, the reason we don't get into today's electronics is because we like the simplicity of yesteryear.  At least, I know I do. 

Don't get me wrong, I have a laptop, a PC, and a cellphone.  No, I don't walk around with the cell attached to my ear, nor am I dying because I may not have the use of my PC or laptop.  I do use my electronics often, especially my laptop.  But, it doesn't make me a prisoner to it. 

Back in the olden days, kids played outside.  They went to the playground or ran around in the yard.  They climbed trees, jumped rope, played tag or Red Rover.  Youngsters played with dolls, tossed a ball around and most were not overweight.  That's because running around outside all day was very good for their health and their weight.  When they went to bed at night, they fell asleep almost before their heads hit their pillows. 

One other very important thing they learned, was to play by pretending.  This was done by using their imaginations.  I remember on Saturday afternoons, when I was a kid, my mother would take my sister
to Columbia for a dance class.  My brother would be down for a nap and my dad would be working in the garage at his part time job.  That left me, alone.  Do you know what I'd do?   I'd get my bike out of the garage, ride back and forth from our farm to the next.  All the while, I'd be pretending I was someone else,  somewhere else and doing something special.  This, of course, was all in my head.  I was pretending and it entertained me all afternoon. 

I think I can probably say that there are very few children out there today, who ever use their imagination.  Even children four to six years old have electronic gadgets.  I find that so sad.  In generations from now, how will we have any writers or inventors, if none of the very young generation know how to use their imaginations?  Have you ever thought about that?  Writing a fiction novel takes the use of your imagination.

Well, I just wanted to give you all some thoughts to ponder on, over this weekend.  I do wish you all a great weekend and stay safe. 
Susan

  

No comments: