Tuesday, April 30, 2013

How do you feel about the aging process?


Hi all,

Well, to answer my own question, I have to say that I'm perfectly okay with it.  I've been professing for the last few months, that it's all in God's plan for us.  We are all born as infants, become toddlers, then teens, then young adults, then middle aged and then we find ourselves old and facing death.  I don't want to die but I'm not afraid of passing. 

I've tried to live my life the way God wanted me to live it.  I haven't, by any means, been perfect, but I have never been one to hold a grudge against anyone. So I, eventually, let the pain go and just move forward.   I assume you all know that holding on to anger and resentment, only hurts you more.  Usually the other person has moved on and really doesn't care anymore.  I've tried to make amends to those I've hurt and to ask God's forgiveness whenever I've done wrong.  I know He's forgiven me because He forgives every one of us, if we are truly sorry. 

Getting old means all sorts of changes with your entire body:  losing hair and/or becoming gray, gaining weight, flabby skin, wrinkles and dark spots on your skin, just to mention a few.  I never understood why people dye their hair, do botox, face lifts, major surgery and other things to try to look like they did ten, fifteen or twenty years ago. 

This is the natural aging process.  We all have to go through this without exception.  Why can't people just accept their age and move on.  I don't think a person is supposed to be sixty or seventy and look like their forty or fifty.  What's up with that, anyways?

Don't get me wrong, I think we all must do whatever is best to stay healthy.  Along with all the sagging, wrinkles and so forth, age brings brittle bones and ailing knees, hips and backs.  It is up to each of us, individually, to put our health above anyone else.  If you become sick, you need to embrace your illness and live accordingly.  You can't let anyone else push you into doing things which can and will hurt you.  You need to be in charge of your own health!

I feel that I try to live a healthy lifestyle, according to what my illnesses allow.  I eat good foods, although I do, occasionally have sweets or candy, but in small amounts.  I have started putting my health first and do only that which I am able to do.  Still, I know that eventually my body, mainly my heart, will give out and I will pass away.  We all will die some day, no exceptions!

So, basically, I would suggest that you try to live a healthy lifestyle.  Also, watch what you eat, try to keep your weight under control, take any medications that are prescribed by your doctor, stay only as active as your body permits and fill your life doing the things that make you happy.  (Of course, if you are ill, you may not be able to do the things you used to love doing, but you can find something else to take their place.  Everyone of us can find something to do to occupy our time and feel fulfilled.)

There's an old saying which goes, 'Let's get old gracefully!'.  That's what I am doing.  Are you?  I hope you are, because that's the healthy way to age.  Try to understand that getting old, and the changes that occur with our bodies when we do, are natural.  This is the way God meant for us to change.  Just accept it because there's nothing you can do to stop it, unless you want to have cosmetic surgery over and over again.  I, for one, don't! 

Growing old doesn't have to be a sad time in your life.  There is so much you can do, whether you have health problems or not.  Happiness comes from the inside and fulfillment comes from using that happiness to do good for yourself and others.  Try giving back in one way or another.  It makes you feel so good about yourself. 

Peace and happy aging to all of you.
Susan

No comments: