Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Hey, cheer up, it's Hump Day!

Hi everyone,

How's your week going thus far?  I hope all is well with you all.  I don't know about where you live, but here in South Central Pennsylvania, rain is coming very fast.  It seems that the next five days we are to have rain.  Some days it will be light and some it may be very heavy and with storms.  I guess it's not the best place to live if you have to be outside during the next five days.  Oh well, I suppose it's good that I have no place particular to go until next week.

Right now I'm listening to the Solid Gold Oldies on TV.  I love listening to the songs from my young years and teenage years.  It takes me back in time to a very comfortable place.  I had a very wonderful childhood with my Sister and Brother and my Mom and Dad.  I'm sure I've shared with you all before, that both of my parents were fans of the Big Band era, as well as current music.  They also loved to dance.  I suppose that's where I got my love of music and dance.  It makes me so sad that dancing isn't something that I can really do much of any longer because of my health.

Does anyone remember this song:  Personality by Lloyd Price from 1959?  It was such a great song to dance the jitterbug to and I loved the song itself.  Here's another one from a bit later.  It's called, Hooray For Hazel, by Tommy Roe, from 1966.  Perhaps a song from the fifties is much too old for many of you.  It's not for me, but then I'm old!  Yes, I'm happy, but old!

My thought take me back to when my sister and I would stop washing and drying the dishes to dance to a song on the radio.  It used to take us so long to finish the dishes on some evenings.  When she got married and moved out, I'd still stop while doing dishes, and dance with the refrigerator door.  The only problem with that was that sometimes it would swing open and I'd have to close it quickly before I got caught.  Such happy memories for me.  I can't tell you how many times a song would be on some TV program and my Mom and Dad would get up and dance to it.  Of course, later, we watched Bandstand every evening.  So, then we'd do the dancing.

My sister has been visiting from another state for the past few weeks.  She'll be here another two weeks yet.  I have so enjoyed the days she comes and spends time with me.  We get to reminisce about our childhoods and how lucky we were to have had the parents we did.  Also, I've been helping her to do some handmade projects to use as Christmas gifts for her family.  She stays with my brother and his wife while she's here.  I'm so thankful that she still drives and isn't afraid to drive up here from down south.  I pray that God stays with her while she's driving that long distance, always.

I'm sitting here singing Chubby Checker's song, The Twist, from 1960.  What a great song and dance.  It's hard to concentrate on my blog with this music playing in the background.  How about this one from 1958, Rock and Roll is Here To Stay, by Danny and the Juniors?  Does anyone remember it?  It was one of those fast songs that you had to do a slow jitterbug to or you could do a fast Twist to that also. This group was inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2003.

Well I suppose I'll close for now and just enjoy my music from the past.  Take care of yourselves and may God bless each one of you.
Susan




No comments: