Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What do I do with the rest of my life?


Hi all,

I suppose for many of you, the above question does not apply.  Your life is probably so full already, you certainly don't need another responsibility in it.  But, that doesn't hold true for many older folks.  Old age has been always labeled as "The Golden Years", but for many of us, there's nothing golden about them. 

I'm not speaking about myself, as I have found my niche in life and that would be writing, creating handmade greeting cards and a few other things.  But, this isn't true for all older people. What does one do when they can no longer do the things they used to do.  The things that made them happy and gave them self-esteem.  Usually this occurs when an older person becomes sickly from one medical condition or from a series of illnesses.  This illness prevents them from doing the routine things they used to do.  It lets them feeling bored and they often fall into a depression. 

I believe you have to pick yourself up, over and over again, and keep on plugging away at living.  First of all, I found that one needs to embrace their illnesses and accept that their life has changed.  Once you've accepted this, you are able to find something to do with your time, which will enrich your life. 

In my opinion, the worst thing you can do is to keep on pushing yourself to do something, which you know darn well, you can't do anymore.  Most times when you do this, it ends with you making yourself more ill than you were before you chose to do it.  I have done that a time or two,  in the past, but stopped a few years ago.  I am living each day of my life for me, first, and then for my husband and family. After all, if I am too ill to do anything for myself, then what good am I to any of them? 

I suppose what I'm saying is this:  each of us knows our limits.  So, stop pushing yourself to do something which will, surely, compound your health.  I will say to every person out there who suffers from any type of chronic illness, that you need to accept and embrace that illness.  Stop pushing yourself to do things which you know will do you more harm than good, just because you want things to be the way they were.  In all probability they will never be that way again.  Just accept it and move on.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself because you're life has changed due to health reasons. 

You don't have to like it, but fighting it only makes it worse.  Why?  Because each time you push to make your life the way it was, it fails and sets you back further.  Move on to something else, but what?  I'm sure you're asking that question right now.  I believe that when you embrace your limitations and accept them, your life will change.  You will find something that you are able to do.  Something to make you feel good about yourself.  It doesn't have to be something that you are doing for someone else.  Just do it for yourself, you do deserve it! 

If the truth be told, you've probably done for others all your life.  These are your golden years, make this time about you for a change!  I believe that there is not one person out there who can't find something to do with themselves, if they really open themselves up to God's soft nudging. 

I personally thank God every day for what He's put in my life.  Growing old is not always easy, but if we try very hard, we can find something to make our lives worthwhile.  Old age is the time for each person to start taking care of themselves and to put themselves first, most of the time.   If you don't do it now, you never will.  Your time on this earth will not last forever.

I am sorry if this sounds like a lecture, because it certainly was not meant that way.  Life is so precious and we never know what day will be our last on this earth.  God bless you and stay safe.
Susan

No comments: